Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes
(recipe found at http://www.eatingbirdfood.com)
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes (2 medium sized), peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup lundburg wild rice blend, cooked
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- ½ tablespoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Steam sweet potato chunks for 20-25 minutes. Then puree sweet potatoes with handheld mixer or mash well with a potato masher.
- Combine mashed sweet potatoes, cooked quinoa, cooked rice, green onions, cranberries, sage, salt and pepper.
- Form and flatten portions of the “dough” into patties.
- Lay the patties onto parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray (or stoneware) and bake for 15-20 minutes until they’re lightly brown and crisp on the outside. **I like mine to be fairly crisp and found that this amount of time was not enough for my liking. I let them go for another 10 minutes and they still weren’t crisp enough for me so I did end up pan frying them quickly (I just used olive oil pan spray in the skillet) on both sides just until browned.**
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or straight from the fridge.