2 1/4 cups water
1 cup dried green lentils
1 tsp parsley
3 minced garlic cloves, separated
1 1/4 cup chopped onion, separated
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2 cups bread crumbs
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups kale, finely chopped
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. In a medium-size pot, bring water to a boil, then add the lentils, parsley, 1 minced garlic clove, and 1/4 c up chopped onions. Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes.
2. Combine walnuts, bread crumbs, and flax seeds in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate pan greased with olive oil, sauté the remaining onion, garlic cloves, mushrooms, and kale for 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Remove lentils from heat, add Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar, and mash ingredients together.
5. In a large bowl, combine lentils, sautéed vegetables, and bread-crumb mixture. Cool in a refrigerator.
6. Using your hands, form patties and pan fry or grill until lightly browned and crispy on both sides, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Serve on a warn, toasted bun or just eat them plain.
Makes 12 four-inch burgers.