Butternut Squash & Black Bean Quinoa Burger
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups finely diced cooked butternut squash
- 2/3 cups shredded carrots
- ½ cup celery, finely diced
- 2 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Spanish Paprika (regular Paprika is ok, too)
- 2/3 cup frozen organic corn, thawed
- ½ cup bell peppers (any color), chopped
- ½ cup quinoa flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (cooking the day before & leaving in the fridge works the best)
- 2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 eggs
- Spray a sauté pan with cooking spray or add a tablespoon of Grapeseed oil or E.V.O.O. Heat to medium and add onion. Cook for 8 minutes and add garlic, cook for 1 minute longer or until fragrant. Add butternut squash, carrots and celery. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and cook for 10 minutes then add remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt, cumin, black pepper and paprika. Cook for one minute. Add corn and bell pepper and cook for two more minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in flour. Add quinoa, black beans and parsley. Mix thoroughly, using your hands as necessary.
- Place ½ of mixture in your food processor and pulse until slightly mushy. Return to the bowl with remaining mixture. Add eggs and use your hands to work in, adding water by the tablespoon as necessary.
- Form into 12 patties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill for at least two hours or overnight. You may also freeze the patties at this point and thaw before proceeding.
- Heat oil or cooking spray over medium heat. Cook the patties until they are browned, about 5 minutes per side.
Note: For best results these patties should chill for two hours or overnight and quinoa should be cooked a day ahead of time and set in the fridge to cool overnight; this helps it all to stick together better. Plan accordingly.
Number of servings (yield): 12