I love making lasagna this time of year and I love that this recipe incorporates kale (feel free to use spinach instead if you prefer it) to make it more nutritious. I’ve left the recipe the way I found it (so as not to change the nutritional values) but when I make it I also add 1 onion (chopped), extra garlic, and sometimes I’ll grate a carrot or two and throw that in as well. Also, keep in mind that this recipe calls for an 8 x 8 pan, so if you need more just double the ingredients and use a 9 x 13 baking dish. One other note, I’m not a fan of boiling the noodles (just another step as far as I’m concerned), so I use the ready-to-cook noodles and usually add a little extra sauce (I’ve never measured how much extra before, but I’d say that for a 9 x 13 pan I usually add 1/2 – 1 extra jar of spaghetti sauce) to make sure it’s not too dry.
1 tsp. olive oil, plus more for oiling pan
1 8-oz. bunch kale, stems removed
1 15-oz. pkg. fat-free ricotta cheese
½ cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 cups marinara sauce
6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained, or 6 no-cook lasagna noodles
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 8-inch square baking pan with oil.
2. Cook kale in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water until cool enough to handle. Thoroughly wring out kale, then chop. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Mix together ricotta and and mozzarella in bowl, set aside.
4. Heat 1 tsp. oil in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic, and cook 15 seconds, or until fragrant. Add tomato purée and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes, or until thickened.
5. Spread 1/4 cup sauce in prepared baking pan. Place 2 lasagna noodles on top of sauce. Top with half of cheese mixture, half of kale, and 1/3 cup sauce. Top with two more noodles, remaining cheese, and remaining kale. Top with remaining lasagna noodles, and cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan, and bake 40 minutes, or until cheese has melted and lasagna is bubbly.
Per 1-cup serving:
- Calories: 183
- Protein: 14 g
- Total Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Cholesterol: 13 mg
- Sodium: 450 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 5 g