I love meatloaf but have never thought to add sweet potato to the mix. I’m glad I did though, this stuff tastes great and adding the sweet potato just kicks up the nutrition!
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 large egg. lightly beaten
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or more to taste, I use my homemade Ezekiel bread crumbs)
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the sweet potato and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes and mash or whip until smooth.
- Mix the ground turkey together with the egg, onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the sweet potatoes, and stir until evenly combined.
- If the mixture seems too wet, add more bread crumbs. Use your hands to form the turkey mixture into a loaf shape and place in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 1 hour, serve warm.
Total Carbs: 43g
Dietary Fiber: 5.3g