- 1 large eggplant (2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup homemade or best-quality store-bought marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange eggplant on two rimmed baking sheets. Brush eggplant on both sides with oil, season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning slices halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: Off heat, in a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup milk, flour, and garlic. Gradually whisk in remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup marinara sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Alternate layers of baked eggplant with sauce. Dollop with remaining 1/4 cup marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake on upper rack until browned and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.
per serving (makes 4 servings)
|Total Fat||11.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||5.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.6 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||24.1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7.4 g|